Monday, August 1, 2011

"Till" we meet again...

I answered Dean's call for tiller operators and tried my hand at it yesterday. I've used front tine tillers in smaller areas before - this Ariens tiller that we have is a real treat to use compared to those machines. In 6 solid engine hours I was able to double the size of the tilled ground as well as knock back the weeds (and peas, carrots and corn that were in there somewhere) on my plot to prep it for winter greens and brassicas.

The tiller work is fun and relatively easy - and a lot more of it needs to be done. I'll take another shift at it soon, but I don't want to hog all the fun for myself! If you think you'd like to take a shot at it, get a hold of Dean and see if he'll check you out on it so you can put in a few hours to knock back the weeds and work the soil for the food bank for next year's plantings. Don't forget ear protection...

Chris

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the help, Chris. I think you'll agree after that work that we really need a tractor. What we need is a small (18 hp) tractor with a rototiller, front loader (for moving compost around), mower and broadcast spreader (for lime and cove crops). Cost new: about $40K.

    ReplyDelete